Sunday, February 15, 2009

Other People Go To Paris So I Don't Have To

OK, I know that sounds weird. OK, I know that is weird.

Here's what I mean: I was half-watching some movie on TV today, and the protagonist was a writer who loved Paris. She would listen to French music while writing, and run away to Paris every chance she got. She knew Paris like the back of her hand, and had all her favorite haunts, etc. And, when the movie ends with a trouble-plagued romance finally (seemingly) cemented, the happy event takes place in Paris.

Here's the thing: when I was younger, I traveled quite a bit. I even went without a car until I was almost 30 so that I could travel.

I saw a lot of interesting places and did a lot of interesting things. But, at some point, I realized the most profound of all bumper-sticker truths: Wherever you go, there you are.

I'm not knocking travel. It can absolutely open your eyes. And it does make you more awake, more conscious somehow, to be in a new place, without familiar people, a familiar language, or familiar habits to rely upon.

But, it's artificial. Stay long enough, and you'll find yourself being the same old way. Wherever you go, there you are.

I decided that I wanted to stay awake without relying on constantly changing outer conditions to remain so. That's when I embarked on an inner journey.

So, on a lazy Sunday when I'm doing some laundry and half-watching TV, and I catch a charming movie about a woman's adventures in Paris, I think to myself, It's so nice she went to Paris so I don't have to.

I hope that's very wise, but I fear it's very boring. Either way, it's where I am right now.

2 comments:

  1. I lived in France for a while when studying Craniofacial Surgery. Paris is vastly over-rated
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. J.,

    I find that big cities often are. Guess I'm a nature lover at heart.

    ReplyDelete