Friday, September 4, 2009

Forgiveness

"Forgiveness means not to mistake human unconsciousness for who that human being is.

The opposite of forgiveness is to make that mistake.

That is the true meaning of forgiveness.

It's all contained in the image of the cross and Jesus.

It contains so much wisdom.

And it's all contained in the last words of Jesus, which were: "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

He did not make an identity for those people out of what they did to Him.

"They know not what they do", means in modern terminology: "They are unconscious."

So, if He had lived now, He probably would have said: "They are completely unconscious.

That's ok. They don't know." "

-Eckhart Tolle

As far as I'm concerned, that is the best definition;/explanation of forgiveness I've come across.

It brought to mind an acquaintance who hurt me recently. I've definitely been nursing a grudge towards this person. And furthermore, said person insists that he did nothing. Which infuriates my ego.

But in the light of this beautiful explanation of forgiveness, I found peace.

Your thought and reflections?

6 comments:

  1. AWEsome truth Ruth! All-ways choose LOVE, whatever it takes, it's the only win/win there is... ever was... and will ever BE.
    <3~*~*~* C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about the whole Jesus/forgiveness angle is that Jesus said things like "turn the other cheek", which is obviously about forgiveness, but he also flipped over tables in the Temple. My point is that forgiveness isn't a "doing" it is about "being".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to "give it up to the holy spirit."

    I know a saying, "Knowledge is learning something every day, and wisdom is forgetting something every day." I think it relates to forgiving.

    Be well, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. J.,

    That is wise.

    Letting go is something our ego hates, but our higher self knows what's best for us.

    And yes, both learning and letting go are needed for growth.

    I hope you are well, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late on commenting, but I just wanted to say that this post is very beautiful.

    When I need to forgive someone, I try very hard to follow Christ's example. Sometimes I come closer than others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane,

    Thank you--I'm glad the post is meaningful to you.

    I also have the experience, with forgiveness and in other areas, in succeeding by degree. Sometimes (rarely) I forgive and let go quickly, and sometimes stubbornly and slowly.

    But forgiving is what counts, whatever that takes.

    ReplyDelete